Would you like to save money by finding low-cost car insurance rates in Fort Collins, CO? Fort Collins shoppers have a choice when shopping for affordable Ford Explorer insurance. They can either spend hours struggling with agents to get rate comparisons or use the internet to compare rates.
There are more efficient ways to shop for car insurance and we'll show you the best way to get price quotes on a Ford and find the lowest price from both online companies and Fort Collins agents.
If you are already insured or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these tips to cut your premiums while maximizing coverage. This information will help educate you on the best ways to compare prices and some tricks to saving. Drivers just have to learn the best way to compare company rates online.
Take policy discounts and save on Ford Explorer insurance in Fort Collins
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there may be some discounts that you may not even know about. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but a few must be asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Multiple Cars - Buying coverage for several vehicles with the same auto insurance company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you may save nearly 15% which can help you find cheap Explorer insurance.
- Clubs and Organizations - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Fort Collins can get you a small discount when getting a Fort Collins car insurance quote.
- Safety Course Discount - Completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Full Payment Discount - By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially as compared to bad drivers.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you're out of luck.
A few companies who might offer most of these discounts include:
When quoting, ask each company or agent how many discounts you can get. A few discounts might not be offered in your state. To locate auto insurance companies who offer cheap Ford Explorer insurance quotes in Colorado, click here.
How to find affordable Ford Explorer insurance in Fort Collins, Colorado
Most major insurance companies allow you to get prices on the web. Doing online price comparisons for Ford Explorer insurance in Fort Collins is very simple as all you need to do is type in your coverage preferences into the form. Once you submit the form, the system gets reports for credit and driving violations and generates a price.
The ability to get online rates for Ford Explorer insurance in Fort Collins simplifies rate comparisons, and it's necessary to have as many quotes as possible in order to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
To quickly use this form to compare rates, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you enter coverages and limits identical to your current policy. This helps ensure you're receiving rate quotes based on similar coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Colorado. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$232||$372||$330||$20||$98||$1,052||$88|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$168||$236||$352||$20||$106||$882||$74|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$246||$346||$362||$22||$108||$1,084||$90|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$344||$448||$460||$28||$138||$1,418||$118|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$294||$516||$456||$28||$136||$1,430||$119|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$242||$362||$358||$22||$108||$1,092||$91|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$300||$526||$426||$26||$128||$1,406||$117|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$242||$362||$358||$22||$108||$1,092||$91|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$278||$420||$362||$22||$108||$1,190||$99|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in garaging location in Fort Collins which can change price quotes greatly.
Analysis of deductible levels
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can raise or lower Ford Explorer insurance rates for different ages of insureds. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The illustration below shows the difference between Ford Explorer car insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The rate quotes are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no exact formula of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost of full coverage is about 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford Explorer settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are currently paying more than $800 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The illustration below shows the difference between Ford Explorer insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Decisions You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. If you know what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that could result in better car insurance rates. Many different elements are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, but some are more obscure like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven.
- How much liability coverage do you need? - Liability insurance will protect you if a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- No policy claims equals cheap rates - If you file a lot of claims you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in Colorado award lower rates to drivers who are not frequent claim filers. Your insurance policy is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Mature drivers pay less - Youthful drivers in Colorado tend to be inattentive in a vehicle so they pay higher car insurance rates. Parents adding a first-time driver onto a policy can be quite pricey. Older people are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents, and usually have better credit.
- Poor credit rating equals high costs - An insured's credit score is a big factor in determining your rates. If your credit history could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Ford Explorer if you improve your credit rating. Insureds with excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores.
- Ford Explorer claim data - Companies study historical loss data in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher loss trends will be charged more to insure. The table below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Ford Explorer vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is set at 100. Values below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Ford Explorer Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Explorer 4dr 2WD 80 90 79 75 70 82 Ford Explorer 4dr 4WD 94 94 97 75 70 85
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- Is my Ford Explorer covered for smoke damage?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Certain consumers just want to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from and supporting small agencies is important especially in Fort Collins.
By using this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Fort Collins that can give you free Fort Collins car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to your email. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from local Fort Collins agents, it helps to know the two different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Fort Collins are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can do a good job, but it's worth learning the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies through many different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, we highly recommend that you get some free quotes from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also write with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Featured below are independent insurance agencies in Fort Collins that can possibly get you free insurance rate quotes.
- Welsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
4033 E Boardwalk Dr # 200 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 207-4000 - View Map
- A Adam Sater Agency
1719 E Mulberry St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 663-5811 - View Map
- John C. Beckett and Associates
220 Smith St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 484-2805 - View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive have only one company to place business with like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to compare other company's rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Many people use the same exclusive agent mainly due to the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Fort Collins that are able to give rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Ed Andrews
4519 S College Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 482-7400 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Jing Wang
1606 S Lemay Ave #107 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 223-0808 - View Map
- AAA Colorado - Ft. Collins Store
3636 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 223-1111 - View Map
Deciding on a insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- How many companies do they write for?
- How are they compensated?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
If you receive acceptable answers to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have found an auto insurance agent that can insure your vehicles.
Buying the right Ford Explorer insurance in Colorado is an important decision
Even though Fort Collins Explorer insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Explorer has a lienholder, most banks will force you to buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a significantly higher premium and make you pay for it.
Third, insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in America overpays as much as $820 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
A little work can save a LOT of money
As you prepare to switch companies, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, denial of a claim, lack of trust in their agent or even policy cancellation. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new company is less work than it seems.
You just learned a lot of information how to save on Ford Explorer insurance in Fort Collins. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Ford Explorer insurance quotes. You may even discover the best prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Even more information can be read at these sites:
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Colorado Car Insurance Rates for Good Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Car Insurance Rates for Felons? (FAQ)
- Think You're a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)