Are you looking for a better way to compare low-cost insurance rates in Fort Collins, CO? Fort Collins shoppers have options when shopping for low-cost Chevy Colorado insurance. They can either waste time calling around to get rate comparisons or leverage the internet to find the lowest rates.
There are more efficient ways to find insurance online and we'll show you the proper way to get price quotes for your Chevy and get the best price possible from both online companies and Fort Collins agents.
It's a good habit to do rate comparisons on a regular basis because rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you think you had the lowest rate on Chevy Colorado insurance in Fort Collins a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you're about to learn one of the quickest ways to get good coverage on Chevy Colorado insurance in Fort Collins at a lower rate.
The following companies offer quotes in Colorado. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$158||$320||$338||$20||$100||$936||$78|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$214||$454||$474||$28||$142||$1,312||$109|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$220||$304||$392||$24||$118||$1,058||$88|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$216||$420||$362||$22||$108||$1,128||$94|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$226||$462||$338||$20||$102||$1,148||$96|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$172||$314||$286||$16||$86||$874||$73|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in Fort Collins location which can impact premiums considerably.
Rate comparison of men versus women in Fort Collins
The chart below illustrates the difference between Chevrolet Colorado insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no violations or claims, full coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Why you need quality insurance for your Colorado
Even though Fort Collins Colorado insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability if you want to drive legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Chevy Colorado, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $850 per year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Why You Might Pay Increased Rates in Fort Collins
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower premium levels. Lots of factors are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but others are more transparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The list below includes most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
- Cut rates and deter theft - Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help prevent car theft.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets - The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Allowing your coverage to lapse raises rates - Driving any period of time without insurance is not a good idea and companies may charge more for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you a license revocation or jail time. You may then have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Colorado department of motor vehicles.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference - The performance of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a big difference in your car insurance bill. Due to the fact that the Chevrolet Colorado is a pickup truck, insuring your vehicle will cost similar in price when compared to the average rates in Fort Collins. Economy passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Lower stress equals lower premiums - Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupational choices like real estate brokers, police officers, and miners usually pay the highest rates attributed to intense work requirements and long work hours. Other occupations such as professors, historians and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Chevy Colorado insurance loss statistics - Auto insurance companies include the past claim trends for vehicles when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that statistically have higher claim amounts or frequency will be charged more to insure.
The next table illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy Colorado vehicles. For each coverage type, the loss probablilty for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is equal to 100. Percentages below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 point to more frequent losses or statistically larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Colorado Vehicles
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2WD 73 57 64 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4WD 90 89 86 67 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 2WD 55 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 4WD 67
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Discounts can help lower rates on Chevy Colorado insurance in Fort Collins
Car insurance companies don't always advertise every available discount very clearly, so we break down a few of the more common and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Renewal Discounts - Select companies give a discount for buying a new policy prior to your current Colorado insurance policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Driver Education Discount - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education in school.
- Safety Course Discount - Taking a course in safe driver may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Professional Organizations - Participating in a qualifying organization may earn a discount on your next renewal.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving less may allow you to get substantially lower premium rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
Policy discounts save money, but most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn't work that way.
A few companies who might offer most of the discounts above are:
If you want cheaper Fort Collins car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in Fort Collins. To view car insurance companies with the best discounts in Colorado, follow this link.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
Many people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing car insurance online is the fact that you can find the best rates and also buy local. Supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Fort Collins.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
When searching for local Fort Collins agents, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they operate. Agents are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it's important to know the difference in how they write coverage because it may have an impact on your selection of an agent.
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, we highly recommend that you get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. A lot of them also have access to small regional insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below are Fort Collins independent agencies who may be able to give you free price quotes.
- Insurance Specialties Ltd
148 W Oak St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 490-1530 - View Map
- Daniel Insurance Agency
2627 Redwing Rd #330 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 223-5902 - View Map
- Brown and Brown Insurance
4532 E Boardwalk Dr #200 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 482-7747 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to buy insurance from these agents mainly due to high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Below are Fort Collins exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Greg L. Howell
816 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 482-2200 - View Map
- Barry B Bailey - State Farm Insurance Agent
902 W Drake Rd #5 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 493-2323 - View Map
- AAA Colorado - Ft. Collins Store
3636 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 223-1111 - View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Does the company have a local claim office in Fort Collins?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
Don't give up on cheap rates
When searching for inexpensive Fort Collins car insurance quotes, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as high prices, being labeled a high risk driver, questionable increases in premium and even not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easier than you think.
More affordable car insurance in Fort Collins is attainable from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Fort Collins, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies don't offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through local independent agencies.
Even more information is located by following these links:
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Learners Permit in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Northglenn, Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Electric Cars in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda CR-V in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)