Sick and tired of trying to scrape together enough money to pay your insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other Colorado consumers.
A recent insurance study discovered that the vast majority of insurance customers have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and just short of a majority have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. The average driver in Aurora can cut their rates by roughly 35% a year, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to compare rates.
Many auto insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a insurance company to get the lowest rate on Toyota Prius V insurance in Aurora.
If you have insurance now, you will most likely be able to cut your premiums using this strategy. Locating the most cost-effective insurance policy in Aurora is really quite easy. But Colorado vehicle owners do need to understand how big insurance companies set your policy premium and apply this information to your search.
It's important to know that obtaining a wide range of quotes provides better odds of finding a lower rate. Not every company allows you to get rate quotes online, so it's important to compare quotes from them, too.
The following companies have been selected to offer free quotes in Colorado. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you click on several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Cheaper Aurora auto insurance rates with discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not even know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be asked about before being credited. If you don't get every credit possible, you are just wasting money.
- Sign Online - Some of the larger companies provide a small discount for buying a policy and signing up on your computer.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a discounted auto insurance rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance from them.
- Driving Data Discount - Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to analyze their driving habits by installing a telematics device such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Aurora Homeowners Pay Less - Owning your own home or condo can help you save on auto insurance since owning and maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Defensive Driver - Participating in a class that teaches safe driver techniques could save 5% or more if you qualify.
As a footnote on discounts, most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
Companies that may include some of the discounts shown above may include but are not limited to:
If you need lower rates, check with every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in Aurora. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Colorado, click here to view.
Local Aurora insurance agents and auto insurance
Some people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local agents is still important in Aurora.
After completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Aurora who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent directly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to compare rates for a specific company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Aurora agents are classified as either exclusive or independent.
Independent agents can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you check rates from independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Aurora that can possibly get you competitive price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type work for only one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are trained well on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are Aurora exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
Finding the right car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Any agent in Aurora should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Aurora?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
After getting reasonable responses to any questions you may have as well as a price you're happy with, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind you are entitled to terminate coverage whenever you choose to so never assume that you are obligated to a policy for a certain time period.
Buying the right Toyota Prius V insurance in Colorado is an important decision
Even though Aurora Prius V insurance rates can get expensive, insurance serves several important purposes.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Toyota with a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Toyota for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying car insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $855 a year so shop around once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Coverages available on your policy
Having a good grasp of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the usual coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Medical costs insurance - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for short-term medical expenses such as funeral costs, ambulance fees and chiropractic care. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision - Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from flooding, falling objects, damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass and fire damage. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value it's not worth carrying full coverage.
UM/UIM Coverage - Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and damage to your Toyota Prius V.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Collision coverages - Collision coverage covers damage to your Prius V caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a parking meter, damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a ditch and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Prius V to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for liability - This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 25/50/15 which means a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $15,000 paid for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things such as legal defense fees, medical services, repair costs for stationary objects, court costs and pain and suffering. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. Colorado state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but you should consider buying higher limits.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Aurora can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies don't offer online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
More information can be found below:
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Grand Junction, Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)