How long has it been since the last time you looked for more competitive insurance rates in Fort Collins, CO? Fort Collins shoppers have a choice when shopping for affordable Jeep Compass insurance. They can either spend hours contacting agents to get rate comparisons or use the internet to get rate quotes. There is a right way and a wrong way to find insurance online and we'll show you the quickest way to get price quotes for a Jeep and find the lowest price.
If you're already insured or just want to save money, use these money-saving tips to get lower rates without reducing protection. The goal of this article is to let you in on the best way to quote coverages and some money-saving tips. Drivers only have to learn the most time-saving way to compare insurance rates using one simple form.
Fort Collins car insurance discounts
Companies don't always list all discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Fort Collins car insurance online.
- Defensive Driving Course - Successfully completing a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with multiple vehicles on the same car insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Good Grades Discount - This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being deployed with a military unit may lower your prices slightly.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids living away from Fort Collins attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Simply working for the federal government could qualify for a slight premium decrease but check with your company.
- One Accident Forgiven - This one isn't a discount, but a few companies such as State Farm and Progressive will forgive one accident without raising rates as long as you don't have any claims for a specific time period.
- No Accidents - Fort Collins drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates as opposed to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
Don't be surprised that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- American Family offers premium reductions for Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, defensive driver, early bird, accident-free, TimeAway discount, and good student.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for multi-policy, youthful driver, driver training, good student, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- State Farm discounts include defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, good student, driver's education, multiple autos, and good driver.
- Travelers may include discounts for early quote, student away at school, payment discounts, IntelliDrive, and multi-policy.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for air bag, good student, defensive driver, bundle, anti-theft, and driver training.
- GEICO offers discounts including federal employee, anti-theft, military active duty, good student, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, online signing, and multi-policy.
It's a good idea to ask each insurance company the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in Fort Collins. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Fort Collins, click here.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide price quotes in Fort Collins, CO. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Compass Sport 2WD||$148||$252||$330||$20||$98||$848||$71|
|Compass Sport 4WD||$336||$672||$474||$28||$142||$1,652||$138|
|Compass Limited 2WD||$302||$562||$474||$28||$142||$1,508||$126|
|Compass Limited 4WD||$170||$306||$330||$20||$98||$924||$77|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in your specific Fort Collins location which can influence insurance rates noticeably.
Cautious drivers save money
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and fender-benders raise Jeep Compass car insurance rates for each different age group. The costs are based on a single male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Jeep Compass Insurance Price Factors
Many different elements are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, but other factors are not quite as obvious like where you live and annual miles driven.
- Proper usage rating affects premiums - Driving more miles in a year the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars that sit idle most of the time get more affordable rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Incorrect rating for your Compass is just wasting money. It's a good idea to make sure your car insurance declarations sheet is rated on the right rating data.
- Safer vehicles lower prices - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and any reduction in injury severity means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Do you know you're credit score? - Having a good credit history is a large factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit scores. If your credit history could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Jeep Compass by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Single drivers may pay more - Having a significant other can actually save you money when buying car insurance. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are more stable financially and it's proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Certain occupations pay higher rates - Occupations such as military generals, architects and medical professionals generally pay higher premium rates in part from stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other careers like farmers, students and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
- Bundling policies can get discounts - Some companies afford better rates to policyholders who buy several policies from them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still save even more by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Jeep Compass insurance loss statistics - Companies analyze historical claim data to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that tend to have higher loss trends will have increased rates.
The table below outlines the actual insurance loss data for Jeep Compass vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the loss probablilty for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Numbers under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values that are 100 or greater indicate more frequent losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Jeep Compass Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Jeep Compass 4dr 2WD 87 135 58 128 124 142 Jeep Compass 4dr 4WD 76 114 63 99 107 106
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Do I just need basic coverages?
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's situation is a little different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For example, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs could use an agent's help.
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Colorado?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
When to get advice from an insurance agent
Some consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to participating agents in Fort Collins that can give you free Fort Collins car insurance quotes for your business. It's much easier because you don't need to find an agent on your own because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you just need to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurer is decision based upon more than just the price. Any agent in Fort Collins should have no problem answering these questions:
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- How many years have they been established?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Fort Collins?
When finding a local agent, there are two different agency structures to choose from. Agents in Fort Collins can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand how they are different since it may influence which agent you choose.
Exclusive insurance agents have only one company to place business with like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins willing to provide price quotes.
- Napoleon Gibson - State Farm Insurance Agent
103, 4212 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 226-1200 - View Map
- John Baugh - State Farm Insurance Agent
2170 W Drake Rd Ste B8 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 484-4000 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ed Andrews
4519 S College Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 482-7400 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
These agents are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When comparing car insurance prices, you will want to include a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison. They often place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that many times have cheaper rates.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Fort Collins that are able to give rate quotes.
- Colorado - B W Insurance Agency Inc
1075 W Horsetooth Rd # 106 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 223-0924 - View Map
- Welsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
4033 E Boardwalk Dr # 200 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 207-4000 - View Map
- Daniel Insurance Agency
2627 Redwing Rd #330 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 223-5902 - View Map
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will require you to have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Jeep at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Jeep Compass but also your financial assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in Colorado is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
When getting Fort Collins car insurance quotes online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
We just covered a lot of ways to get a better price on Jeep Compass insurance in Fort Collins. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Fort Collins car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with an unexpected company. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
Even more information is available at these sites:
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Uninsured Drivers in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)