Drivers who are new to shopping for auto insurance online may find purchasing cheaper Patriot insurance is quite challenging.
It's astonishing, but over 70% of drivers kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates from other carriers. Colorado consumers could cut their rates by roughly $600 a year, but they assume it's a waste of time to compare other rate quotes.
It is always a good idea to get comparison quotes before your next renewal because car insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Despite the fact that you may have had the best deal on Jeep Patriot insurance in Fort Collins six months ago there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're going to learn the quickest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
There are several ways of comparing rates from many car insurance companies in Colorado. One of the best ways to compare rates consists of shopping online.
Keep in mind that more quotes helps improve the odds of finding a better price.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Colorado. If the list has multiple companies, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Patriot Sport 2WD||$184||$320||$338||$20||$100||$962||$80|
|Patriot Sport 4WD||$216||$346||$362||$22||$108||$1,054||$88|
|Patriot Limited 2WD||$208||$380||$330||$20||$98||$1,036||$86|
|Patriot Limited 4WD||$212||$416||$456||$28||$136||$1,248||$104|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Price estimates do not factor in your specific Fort Collins location which can revise coverage rates considerably.
Should you raise deductibles?
The information below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can increase or decrease Jeep Patriot yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The premiums assume a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Impact of speeding/accidents on auto insurance rates
The example below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault collisions can raise Jeep Patriot insurance prices for different insured age categories. The costs are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
How much more does full coverage cost?
The diagram below shows the difference between Jeep Patriot annual premium costs with full coverage compared to only the Colorado minimum liability coverage. The prices are based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule for excluding full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Jeep Patriot replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If it's costing in excess of $700 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Buying the right Jeep Patriot insurance in Colorado is an important decision
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will force you to have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Jeep for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Jeep. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Buyer beware of auto insurance advertising tricks
Big name companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with television and radio advertisements. All the ads seem to make the promise that people will save just by moving to their company. But how can every company cost less than your current company? This is the trick they use.
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. An example of a desirable insured might be between the ages of 30 and 50, owns a home, and drives a safe vehicle. Someone who fits those characteristics gets the lowest prices and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Insureds who do not meet the ideal profile will probably have to pay a higher rate with the end result being the prospect going elsewhere. The ad wording is "drivers that switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" save the amount stated. That's the way companies can make claims like that. This really illustrates why you absolutely need to get as many free Fort Collins auto insurance quotes as possible. It's not possible to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
Discounts can help to save on Jeep Patriot insurance in Fort Collins
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there are discounts available that can help lower your rates. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted car insurance rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
- Employee of Federal Government - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could provide a small rate reduction with some car insurance companies.
- Online Discount - Many companies will give a small break for signing up over the internet.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts can save 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for lower premium rates.
Remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A list of car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include good student, driver training, multi-policy, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, 55 and retired, and youthful driver.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including hybrid vehicle, newly retired, newly married, safety features, multi-car, new vehicle discount, and multi-policy.
- State Farm includes discounts for good student, passive restraint, multiple policy, student away at school, safe vehicle, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including paperless, teen driver, paid in full, mature driver, multiple vehicles, and good student.
- GEICO discounts include driver training, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, anti-theft, five-year accident-free, and air bags.
- SAFECO has discounts for safe driver, drive less, bundle discounts, multi-car, teen safety rewards, and anti-lock brakes.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Local Fort Collins insurance agents
Some consumers still like to have an agent's advice and that is a personal choice. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you may find lower rates but also keep your business local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Fort Collins who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You can get cheaper insurance rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, you would need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing the best insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Fort Collins should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
Two different types of auto insurance agents
If you are wanting to find a local Fort Collins insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they work. Insurance agents in Fort Collins can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company such as State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are trained well in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand rather than low rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Fort Collins who can help you get price quotes.
- Bill Cofer - State Farm Insurance Agent
2700 S College Ave Ste 110 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 223-7900 - View Map
- Danny Barnhart - State Farm Insurance Agent
Ste B6, 2427 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 226-1800 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - David Stansfield
5125 S College Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 204-0020 - View Map
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through lots of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally and you won't have to switch agencies. When comparing rates, you absolutely need to compare quotes from several independent agencies to maximize your price options. They often place coverage with mutual insurance companies which may provide better rates.
Below are independent insurance agents in Fort Collins willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Northern Colorado Insurance Agency
7352 Greenridge Road, Suite A-8 - Windsor, CO 80550 - (970) 460-0303 - View Map
- ABC Insurance Agency
121 E Swallow Rd - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 484-3200 - View Map
- Welsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
4033 E Boardwalk Dr # 200 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 207-4000 - View Map
If you receive satisfactory answers to all your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, it's possible that you found a car insurance agent that is reputable and can properly insure your vehicles.
When in doubt talk to an agent
Always keep in mind that when comparing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really isn't a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your situation is unique and your insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor's mailbox?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- What is GAP insurance?
- What is medical payments coverage?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
One last note
Some insurance companies may not have internet price quotes and these smaller companies work with independent agents. Discount Jeep Patriot insurance is available from both online companies and with local Fort Collins insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
You just read a lot of tips how to save on Jeep Patriot insurance in Fort Collins. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Fort Collins auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. Regional companies may have significantly lower auto insurance rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4 in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 21 in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a School Permit in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)