Finding the lowest price Fort Collins Honda Fit insurance quotes online is challenging for beginners to comparison shopping online. With so many options of insurers to choose from, how can people have time to compare every company to locate better rates?
Unbelievably, the vast majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never quoted car insurance rates at all. With the average car insurance premium being $1,813, Fort Collins drivers could save themselves roughly $605 a year just by shopping around, but they don't believe how much money they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
It is always a good idea to do price comparisons at least once a year because car insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on Honda Fit insurance in Fort Collins on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you're about to learn the fastest way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on Honda Fit insurance in Fort Collins.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Fort Collins is easy if you know what you're doing. If you currently have car insurance, you will surely be able to lower your rates using these methods. But Colorado car owners must know how insurance companies calculate their prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Just remember that comparing more prices provides better odds of finding a lower rate. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online rate quotes, so it's important to compare price quotes from them, too.
The providers in the list below provide price comparisons in Colorado. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the most affordable rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fit Sport VSA||$190||$448||$262||$16||$78||$994||$83|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in your specific Fort Collins location which can affect insurance rates noticeably.
Do you need full coverage?
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Honda Fit insurance prices with and without full coverage. The premiums assume no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no exact rule of when to drop comp and collision coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Honda Fit claim settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it's costing in excess of $300 a year for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should maintain full coverage.
Auto insurance rates by gender and age in Fort Collins
The information below illustrates the difference between Honda Fit premium costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied.
Protect more than your Fit
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability in order to be legal. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Fit has a lienholder, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Honda at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your Honda Fit but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Buy Honda Fit Insurance Cheaper
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, although others are not as apparent such as your marital status or how financially stable you are. Part of the insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that help determine your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get better insurance rates.
The items below are some of the factors insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Qualify for multi-policy discounts - Many insurers will award a discount for people who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it's always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. You may still be able to save even more than the discount even if you insure with multiple companies
- Youthful drivers cost more - Inexperience drivers are statistically proven to be more careless behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher. If you've ever had to add a young driver onto a policy can increase premiums substantially. Older people tend to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and usually have better credit.
- How much liability - Your insurance policy's liability coverage is the protection if ever a jury decides you are liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Drive a fast vehicle and pay more - The performance of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in your premium level. Due to the fact that the Honda Fit is classified as a standard SUV, rates will be slightly more as compared to the average rate in Fort Collins. Low performance passenger vehicles generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Don't let your coverage lapse - Not having insurance is a big no-no and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may result in a license revocation or jail time.
- Honda Fit insurance loss data - Companies analyze past claim statistics when they file their rates in each state. Models that tend to have higher number or severity of losses will have increased rates.
The information below illustrates the historical loss data for Honda Fit vehicles. For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles as a whole is a value of 100. Values that are below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or larger claims.
Honda Fit Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Fit 89 78 90 99 97 92
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Fort Collins auto insurance discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list every discount very clearly, so the list below details some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy Fort Collins auto insurance online.
- Memberships - Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for auto insurance.
- Defensive Driver - Passing a defensive driver course could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Federal Government Employee - Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Fort Collins auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Fewer annual miles on your Honda may enable drivers to earn cheaper premium rates.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying a new car instead of a used Fit can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select auto insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Safe Drivers - Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Fort Collins auto insurance quote than drivers with accident claims.
- Renewal Discounts - A few auto insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current Fit insurance policy expiration. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Pay Early and Save - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for anti-theft, defensive driving training, accident-free, passive restraint, multiple autos, safe vehicle, and multiple policy.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for distant student, early shopping, switch companies, homeowner, business and professional, teen driver, and youthful driver.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, and military active duty.
- American Family may have discounts that include bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, air bags, good driver, and mySafetyValet.
- Nationwide includes discounts for accident-free, anti-theft, multi-policy, easy pay, defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, and family plan.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, and continuous coverage.
Check with every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in Fort Collins. To view companies who offer free Honda Fit insurance quotes in Fort Collins, click here to view.
You may need help from an agent
A lot of people would prefer to have an agent's advice and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap auto insurance rates and also buy local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any agents because prices are sent to you. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you need to quote rates from a particular provider, you would need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best provider shouldn't rely on just a low price. Any agent in Fort Collins should be willing to answer these questions.
- Where are claims handled?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
Independent or Exclusive: It's your choice
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents that you can select. Agents are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only write with one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company's rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are trained well in insurance sales which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. A lot of people choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of high brand loyalty and solid financial strength.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins who may provide you with comparison quotes.
- Mary Biggers - State Farm Insurance Agent
1318 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 493-9336 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ed Andrews
4519 S College Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 482-7400 - View Map
- AAA Colorado - Ft. Collins Store
3636 S College Ave - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 223-1111 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, we recommend you check rates from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection. They often place coverage with smaller mutual companies that many times have cheaper rates.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Fort Collins that can give you rate quotes.
- Welsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
4033 E Boardwalk Dr # 200 - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 207-4000 - View Map
- Daniel Insurance Agency
2627 Redwing Rd #330 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 223-5902 - View Map
- Frontier Insurance Group
144 N Mason St # 5 - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 672-8853 - View Map
Once you have received good responses to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles.
You can find cheap coverage
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to reduce Honda Fit insurance car insurance rates online in Fort Collins. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with the least-expected company.
When shopping online for insurance, it's very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
More affordable insurance in Fort Collins can be sourced on the web and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Dodge Journey in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Auto Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Car Insurance for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)