Would you like to stop overpaying and find lower-priced GMC Acadia insurance in Fort Collins? Do you get confused by the sheer number of car insurance companies in your area? Many other drivers are as well. You have so many companies to choose from that it can turn into a challenge to find better car insurance rates for GMC Acadia insurance in Fort Collins. Lots of people think Fort Collins is a good city to live in, but inflated car insurance prices can make it impossible to make ends meet.
It's amazing but the majority of drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never taken the time to shop around. The average driver in Colorado could pocket approximately 35% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't want to spend time to shop around.
If you already have coverage, you will most likely be able to find the best rates using the tips covered below. Shopping for affordable insurance coverage in Fort Collins is not as time-consuming as you think. But Colorado car owners must comprehend the methods companies use to price online insurance and use it to find better rates.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing a wide range of rates increases your odds of finding more affordable insurance.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Colorado. If more than one company is shown, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Acadia SL 2WD||$150||$258||$338||$20||$100||$866||$72|
|Acadia SL AWD||$190||$298||$368||$22||$110||$988||$82|
|Acadia SLE 2WD||$144||$232||$396||$24||$118||$914||$76|
|Acadia SLE AWD||$190||$380||$396||$24||$118||$1,108||$92|
|Acadia SLT 2WD||$168||$288||$352||$20||$106||$934||$78|
|Acadia SLT AWD||$298||$448||$358||$22||$108||$1,234||$103|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in your specific Fort Collins location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates considerably.
Liability only or full coverage
The diagram below shows the comparison of GMC Acadia car insurance costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The price estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no set rule of when to drop full coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your GMC Acadia book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If premium cost is more than $600 a year for full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
You may qualify for discounts for GMC Acadia insurance in Fort Collins
Companies do not list the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Fort Collins auto insurance online.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and place coverage with the same company you could earn a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Senior Citizens - Seniors can get better auto insurance rates.
- Claim Free - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a class that teaches defensive driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Distant College Student Discount - Children who are attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Drive Less and Save - Maintaining low annual mileage may allow you to get lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Government Employee Discount - Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Fort Collins auto insurance but check with your company.
As a footnote on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won't be that lucky.
Car insurance companies that may offer quotes with these benefits include:
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. For a list of insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Colorado, click this link.
Compare prices but work with a local neighborhood Fort Collins car insurance agent
A small number of people still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find lower rates and also buy local. Buying from local agencies is important especially in Fort Collins.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the quote information gets sent to local insurance agents in Fort Collins who will give competitive quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no reason to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to you. It's the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a reliable agent, it's important to understand the different types of agencies and how they operate. Fort Collins agents may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type often have many company appointments and that gives them the ability to insure with a variety of different insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don't have to do anything.
When searching for an agent, you need to contact a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison. Most can insure with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Fort Collins that may be able to give you price quotes.
- A Adam Sater Agency
1719 E Mulberry St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 663-5811 - View Map
- Northern Colorado Insurance Agency
7352 Greenridge Road, Suite A-8 - Windsor, CO 80550 - (970) 460-0303 - View Map
- John C. Beckett and Associates
220 Smith St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 484-2805 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company's prices like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which can be an advantage. Many people use the same exclusive agent partially due to the brand name instead of buying on price only.
Listed below are Fort Collins exclusive insurance agents willing to provide rate quotes.
- American Family Insurance - Terry Danielson Agency Inc
732 S Lemay Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 226-0919 - View Map
- Barry B Bailey - State Farm Insurance Agent
902 W Drake Rd #5 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 493-2323 - View Map
- Dave Lawser - State Farm Insurance Agent
4605 Ziegler Rd #1 - Fort Collins, CO 80528 - (970) 226-1306 - View Map
Deciding on a insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Who are their largest clients?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Fort Collins?
If you get positive responses as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that can be trusted to service your policy. Just keep in mind it's your policy and you can cancel your coverage at any time so don't assume you're contractually obligated to your new company for a certain time period.
Learn How to Buy Insurance Cheaper
It's important that you understand the different types of things that help determine insurance rates. If you understand what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower rates.
Discounts for married drivers - Walking down the aisle helps lower the price when buying insurance. Having a significant other means you're more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because married couples file fewer claims.
Drive fewer miles and save - Driving a lot of miles each year the more you'll pay to insure it. Almost all companies calculate rates based upon how much you drive. Autos left parked in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It's a smart idea to ensure your insurance policy properly reflects the correct usage, because it can save money. Incorrect rating for your Acadia can result in significantly higher rates.
Men tend to take more risk - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn't mean men are worse drivers. Both sexes tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but males tend to have more serious accidents. They also have more aggressive citations like driving under the influence (DUI). Teenage male drivers are the most expensive to insure and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
Increase coverage deductibles to save - Insurance for physical damage, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your GMC. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and burglary. Comp and collision deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more of the claim you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Costs go up with performance - The performance level of the car you are insuring makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. Since the GMC Acadia is considered a standard SUV, rates will be slightly more as compared to the average rate in Fort Collins. The lowest performance passenger vehicles usually have the lowest premiums, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
GMC Acadia claim statistics - Insurers factor in historical loss data to help set a rate to offset losses. Models that statistically have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates. The information below illustrates the insurance loss data for GMC Acadia vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, equals 100. Values that are under 100 represent a good loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more claims or statistically larger losses.
GMC Acadia Insurance Loss Statistics
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|GMC Acadia 4dr 2WD||75||86||73||71||69||80|
|GMC Acadia 4dr 4WD||83||100||88||62||63||80|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost, paying for insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your GMC has a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your GMC at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your GMC. It will also pay for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in America overpays more than $800 each year so compare quotes from several companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Compare but don't skimp
Some companies may not have internet price quotes and these smaller companies work with independent insurance agents. Budget-friendly insurance in Fort Collins can be purchased on the web and with local Fort Collins insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent or being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason, switching companies is actually quite simple.
When you buy Fort Collins auto insurance online, never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where someone dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about insurance is available in the articles below:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Colorado Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Males? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Auto Insurance Quotes for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Castle Rock, Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Car Insurance Rates for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)