Do you need a better way to compare cheaper auto insurance rates in Fort Collins, CO? Fort Collins consumers have many options when looking for low-cost Subaru Forester insurance. You can either waste hours struggling with agents trying to get quotes or utilize the internet to make rate comparisons.
There is a right way and a wrong way to buy auto insurance so you're going to learn the best way to get price quotes for a new or used Subaru and obtain the cheapest rates.
You need to do rate comparisons before your policy renews because prices go up and down regularly. Even if you got the lowest rates on Subaru Forester insurance in Fort Collins last year you will most likely find a better premium rate today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're about to learn the best methods to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Cheaper rates by taking advantage of discounts
Companies don't list all discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the best known as well as the least known insurance savings.
- Life Insurance Discount - Some insurance carriers give lower insurance rates if you buy some life insurance too.
- Federal Government Employee - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with some insurance companies.
- Cautious Driver Discount - Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Paperwork-free - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
- Air Bag Discount - Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren't that lucky. But any discount will definitely lower your overall premium however.
Popular insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good driver, pay-in-full, multi-car, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for accident-free, anti-theft, good driver, safe vehicle, student away at school, multiple policy, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Esurance offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, anti-theft, paid-in-full, and DriveSense.
- Nationwide may include discounts for family plan, accident-free, business or organization, defensive driving, anti-theft, and easy pay.
When quoting, ask each company the best way to save money. Savings might not be offered in Fort Collins. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies with the best Subaru Forester insurance discounts in Colorado, click here to view.
The car insurance companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Colorado. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get rates from several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Forester X AWD||$190||$288||$298||$18||$90||$884||$74|
|Forester X Premium AWD||$192||$306||$280||$16||$84||$878||$73|
|Forester X Premium AWP AWD||$210||$354||$404||$24||$120||$1,112||$93|
|Forester X Limited Edition AWD||$332||$448||$304||$18||$92||$1,194||$100|
|Forester X Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$234||$416||$404||$24||$120||$1,198||$100|
|Forester XT AWD||$422||$792||$404||$24||$120||$1,762||$147|
|Forester XT Limited Edition AWD||$296||$546||$286||$16||$86||$1,230||$103|
|Forester XT Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$164||$288||$286||$16||$86||$840||$70|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in zip code location which can affect coverage rates noticeably.
Should you buy full coverage?
The information below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Forester insurance prices with full coverage and liability only. The data is based on no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There isn't a written rule for eliminating full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Subaru Forester book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $600 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Components of Your Subaru Forester Insurance Premiums
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that are used to determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices. Many things are considered when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but some are more transparent like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
- Optional features impact rates - Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart vehicle theft.
- Urban areas may pay more - Choosing to live in a rural area has it's advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Urban drivers tend to have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. Less people translates into fewer accident claims in addition to lower liability claims
- Low deductibles can be expensive - Deductibles for physical damage define how much you are required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Coverage for physical damage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are a windshield broken by a bird, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The larger the amount you have to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Cheaper rates after marriage - Your spouse may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature than a single person and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Subaru Forester insurance claim data - Auto insurance companies use claims history when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that are shown to have higher claim amounts or frequency will cost more for coverage. The table below shows the loss history for Subaru Forester vehicles.
For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is represented as 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentage numbers above 100 show a trend for more claims or a tendancy for losses to be larger than average.
Subaru Forester Insurance Claim Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Subaru Forester 4dr 4WD 71 80 108 72 76 68 Subaru Forester 4dr 4WD with Eyesight 74 66 118 77 78 53
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying from auto insurance agents
Some consumers just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a smart move Insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you can get better rates and also buy local. And buying from local insurance agencies is important particularly in Fort Collins.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, just navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Fort Collins should have no problem answering these questions:
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
Choosing the best Forester insurance in Colorado is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Subaru Forester in Fort Collins, insuring your vehicle is required in Colorado but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Subaru has a loan, it's most likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Subaru for a much higher rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your Subaru Forester and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Subaru as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $850 per year so you should quote and compare rates once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
How much can you save?
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to find cheap Subaru Forester insurance in Fort Collins. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Fort Collins auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from the smaller companies.
Discount Subaru Forester insurance in Fort Collins can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some car insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agents.
When you buy Fort Collins auto insurance online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional detailed information is located in the articles below:
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Nissan Altima in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Castle Rock, Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much is Colorado Auto Insurance for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)