Are you sick of overpaying and want more affordable Dodge Ram insurance in Fort Collins? Scraping up a payment for expensive Dodge Ram insurance in Fort Collins can overdraw your bank account and make it hard to pay other bills.
A recent study showed that almost 70% of insureds in Colorado kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. American insurance shoppers could save up to $860 a year just by shopping around, but they just don't want to shop around. Insurance companies such as GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with ad campaigns and it can be hard to separate fact from fiction and take the time to shop coverage around.
Smart consumers take time to check car insurance prices periodically since insurance prices change frequently. Just because you found the best quotes on Dodge Ram insurance in Fort Collins last year you will most likely find a better rate today. There is a lot of wrong information about Ram insurance on the internet, but in this article, you're going to get the best ways to reduce your car insurance bill.
Discounts for affordable car insurance quotes
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not even know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If they aren't giving you every credit possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Distant Student Discount - Children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Fort Collins and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Safe Driver Discounts - Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Defensive Driver - Successfully completing a class that teaches defensive driver techniques is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Accident Waiver - Not really a discount, but certain companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums as long as you don't have any claims for a specific time period.
Remember that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good driver, multiple autos, accident-free, student away at school, and good student.
- GEICO discounts include daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, driver training, anti-lock brakes, and military active duty.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, online signing, multi-policy, and good student.
- 21st Century includes discounts for driver training, theft prevention, anti-lock brakes, good student, homeowners, student driver, and defensive driver.
- American Family has discounts for good driver, accident-free, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, good student, defensive driver, and Steer into Savings.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for air bag, bundle, driver training, vehicle fuel type, and anti-theft.
- AAA offers discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-policy, multi-car, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
Before you buy a policy, ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to view insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Fort Collins, click this link.
Quote Fort Collins Dodge Ram insurance online
Cutting your Fort Collins car insurance rates is actually easier than you may think. All that's required is to invest a little time comparing free Fort Collins car insurance quotes from different insurance companies.
Doing online price quotes comparisons is so easy that it makes it a waste of time to call or drive to different Fort Collins agent offices. Doing it all online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a need for the professional advice of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. It is possible to find lower rates online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Fort Collins, CO. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$130||$196||$374||$22||$112||$834||$70|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$240||$416||$516||$30||$154||$1,356||$113|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$350||$458||$520||$30||$156||$1,514||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$328||$616||$516||$30||$154||$1,644||$137|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$262||$454||$374||$22||$112||$1,224||$102|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$214||$362||$416||$24||$124||$1,140||$95|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$216||$288||$520||$30||$156||$1,210||$101|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$250||$368||$396||$24||$118||$1,156||$96|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$186||$330||$480||$28||$144||$1,168||$97|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$240||$340||$520||$30||$156||$1,286||$107|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$346||$592||$408||$24||$122||$1,492||$124|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$292||$534||$374||$22||$112||$1,334||$111|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$238||$448||$448||$26||$134||$1,294||$108|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$294||$556||$448||$26||$134||$1,458||$122|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$310||$496||$408||$24||$122||$1,360||$113|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$206||$390||$480||$28||$144||$1,248||$104|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$334||$620||$480||$28||$144||$1,606||$134|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$326||$630||$416||$24||$124||$1,520||$127|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$334||$714||$480||$28||$144||$1,700||$142|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$372||$852||$480||$28||$144||$1,876||$156|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price estimates do not factor in specific Fort Collins garaging location which can modify insurance rates noticeably.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Ram premium costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The information is based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There isn't a steadfast formula to delete physical damage insurance, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Dodge Ram replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it's costing in excess of $700 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Rate increases following a ticket or accident
The illustration below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can increase Dodge Ram yearly insurance costs for each age group. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by gender
The illustration below shows the difference between Dodge Ram insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Informed Drivers Can Reduce Insurance Rates
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the things that play a part in calculating your premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates. Lots of things are used when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, although others are more obscure like where you live or your commute time.
- Traffic violations can be expensive - Having a clean driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single speeding ticket can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Drivers who have gotten flagrant tickets like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Save annual miles and save money - Driving more miles annually the more you'll pay to insure it. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how much you drive. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your auto insurance policy is showing annual mileage. An incorrectly rated Ram may be costing you.
- Women tend to be lower risk - The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn't mean men are worse drivers. Both genders have accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets such as reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 generally have the highest accident percentage and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Lower prices with alarms and GPS tracking - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you some money. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- You might get higher rates if you are single - Your spouse may cut your premiums compared to being single. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- If you don't need it don't buy it - Policies have additional extra coverages that can add up if you aren't careful. Coverages like personal injury protection, high-cost glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
- Auto insurance rates and your job - Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and miners generally pay the highest rates attributed to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, occupations like professors, historians and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
- Liability is critical - The liability section of your policy kicks in if a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability is cheap compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Insurance can get complicated
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. You are unique and your insurance should be unique as well. For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you could use an agent's help.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer's policy when using it for work?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
Buying car insurance from Fort Collins insurance agents
Some consumers just want to have an agent's advice and we recommend doing that Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can give you free Fort Collins car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't even need to drive around since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. If you want to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an insurer should depend on more than just a low price. Before buying a policy in Fort Collins, get answers to these questions.
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- How long has their agency been in business in Fort Collins?
- How are they compensated?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Fort Collins?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
If you would like to find a reliable agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they work. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both do a good job, but it's worth learning how they differ since it can impact buying decisions.
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are well trained on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agents do not work for one specific company and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When shopping rates, you definitely need to get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in Fort Collins willing to provide price quote information.
Once you have reasonable responses to any questions you have as well as a affordable price, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agent that is reputable and can properly service your car insurance policy.
Why you need auto insurance
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, maintaining insurance is required in Colorado but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Dodge Ram, most lenders will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. As of last year, the average driver in Colorado is overpaying over $810 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Be persistent to save money
When you buy Fort Collins car insurance online, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on Dodge Ram insurance in Fort Collins. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Fort Collins car insurance, the better likelihood of getting low cost Fort Collins car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest prices come from a small mutual company. These companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Auto Insurance Quotes for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Loveland, CO? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 70 in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)