Have you had enough of wondering where the money will come from to pay your insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other Colorado drivers.
It's amazing but the vast majority of insurance customers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just short of a majority have never taken the time to shop around. With the average premium in Colorado being $1,813, drivers could pocket as much as $610 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don't know the actual amount they would save if they changed companies. With so many insurance companies to choose from that have lower-cost insurance for a Dodge Avenger in Fort Collins, it's nearly impossible to locate a more affordable insurance provider.
It's a good idea to do rate comparisons yearly since prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the lowest rates on Dodge Avenger insurance in Fort Collins at your last renewal you can probably find a better premium rate now. There is a lot of wrong information about Avenger insurance on the internet, but I'm going to show you some of the best ways to buy insurance cheaper in Fort Collins.
Discounts for cheaper car insurance quotes
Some insurers do not advertise all their discounts very well, so below is a list a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- College Student - Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car could get you a discount.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Senior Discount - Mature drivers can get reduced rates.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Some car insurance companies give lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Driver Education Discount - Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver's ed class in school.
- Telematics Discount - Insureds who allow their car insurance company to look at vehicle usage by using a telematics device such as State Farm's In-Drive might see lower rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed in the military may lower your rates slightly.
- Employee of Federal Government - Having worked for a branch of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
One last thing about discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your overall bill.
To see a list of car insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Fort Collins, click this link.
How to compare Fort Collins Dodge Avenger insurance rate quotes
The providers in the list below offer quotes in Fort Collins, CO. If more than one company is shown, it's a good idea that you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in garaging location in Fort Collins which can change prices noticeably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The diagram below shows the difference between Dodge Avenger insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The premium estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no clear-cut formula for phasing out comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Dodge Avenger book value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $2,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not recommended. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by age and gender
The illustration below shows the comparison of Dodge Avenger auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no accidents or driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Dodge Avenger premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Buy Lower-cost Insurance with These Tips
Lots of factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
Shown below are a few of the "ingredients" companies use to determine your prices.
Bundle policies and save money - Lots of insurers apply lower prices for people that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to compare other Fort Collins Avenger insurance rates to ensure the best deal. Consumers may find a better deal by buying from different companies
Raise coverage deductibles and save - Insurance for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your Dodge. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and damage caused by flying debris. Comp and collision deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more damage repair cost you're willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Is you employer costing you more? - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Jobs such as judges, social workers and dentists generally have higher rates than the rest of us due to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, jobs like actors, athletes and performers have the lowest average rates.
Big city or small town - Residing in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims People in densely populated areas have much more traffic and longer commutes to work. The longer drive time translates into higher accident risk.
Liability is critical - Liability coverage provides coverage in the event that a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. This coverage provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions might point out whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in Colorado?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and may give you better protection.
What if I want to buy from local Fort Collins car insurance agents?
A small number of people prefer to talk to a local agent and we recommend doing that Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper premium rates and still have an agent to talk to. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is definitely important in Fort Collins.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you can always visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
When looking for a local insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they function. Agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either type can handle car insurance, but it's worth mentioning why they differ since it can affect the type of agent you choose.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent are not restricted to one company so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, they simply move the coverage in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When shopping rates, you will want to get rate quotes from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
The following are Fort Collins independent insurance agencies that can possibly get you comparison quotes.
Exclusive agents can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to provide other company's prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on their company's products which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins that are able to give price quote information.
Picking an car insurance agent should depend on more than just the price. Any good agent in Fort Collins should know the answers to these questions.
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
Upon getting acceptable answers to any questions you may have as well as a affordable price, it's possible that you found an insurance agent that can adequately provide car insurance. Just understand that consumers can terminate your policy for any reason so don't assume you are locked into any particular company for a certain time period.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, maintaining insurance is required by state law in Colorado and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Avenger, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having auto insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $820 a year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to save money.
Be persistent and save
Insureds switch companies for many reasons like extreme rates for teen drivers, questionable increases in premium, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even policy non-renewal. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is actually quite simple.
You just learned many ideas to find cheap Dodge Avenger insurance in Fort Collins. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding affordable Fort Collins car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with a smaller regional carrier.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim they didn't have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Additional car insurance information can be read at these links:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Learners Permit in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Boulder, Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Equinox in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Colorado Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)