How many times have you told yourself it's time to shop around for the cheapest Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins? Are you sick and tired of sacrificing other expenses to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than millions of other vehicle owners.
Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of car insurance customers in Colorado renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. American drivers can cut their rates by about $860 a year, but most just don't grasp how much savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy. Since vehicle owners have many online and local companies to choose from, it can be challenging to pick a lower cost insurance company.
It's a good habit to do price comparisons before your policy renews because car insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you think you had the best rate on Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins at your last renewal the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you're about to learn one of the easiest ways to get good coverage on Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins at a lower rate.
Locating the best rates in Fort Collins is actually very simple if you learn how to start. If you have a policy now, you will surely be able to find better prices using the concepts you're about to learn. You only have to learn the most efficient way to compare insurance rates instantly.
The fastest way that we advise to compare policy rates for Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins is to know the fact most larger insurance companies will pay a fee to give free rates quotes. All consumers are required to do is provide information including how old drivers are, whether you are single or married, if you went to college, and the make and model of your vehicles. Your information is sent automatically to all major companies and you should receive rate quotes almost instantly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Fort Collins.
The following companies can provide free rate quotes in Colorado. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Highlander Sport 4WD||$294||$516||$456||$28||$136||$1,430||$119|
|Highlander SE 2WD||$148||$244||$338||$20||$100||$850||$71|
|Highlander Sport 2WD||$186||$330||$426||$26||$128||$1,096||$91|
|Highlander Limited 2WD||$252||$400||$362||$22||$108||$1,144||$95|
|Highlander SE 4WD||$342||$538||$352||$20||$106||$1,358||$113|
|Highlander Limited 4WD||$278||$434||$352||$20||$106||$1,190||$99|
|Highlander Hybrid 4WD||$364||$726||$456||$28||$136||$1,710||$143|
|Highlander Hybrid Limited 4WD||$164||$288||$338||$20||$100||$910||$76|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in specific Fort Collins garaging location which can lower or raise coverage rates considerably.
How accidents and tickets impact rates
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and fender-benders raise Toyota Highlander insurance rates for each different age category. Data assumes a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Why you need insurance for your Highlander
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Fort Collins, paying for car insurance is required in Colorado but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Toyota Highlander has a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your Toyota and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $810 a year so we recommend shopping around every year to ensure rates are competitive.
How to Lower Your Insurance Premiums
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but other factors are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married and annual miles driven. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that are used to determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you understand what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower rates.
The following are just a few of the factors that factor into your premiums.
- High deductibles lower rates - Insurance for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your Toyota. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Your deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more expense you have to pay, the better rate you will receive.
- Remove unneeded extra policy coverages - There are a lot of additional coverages that you can buy if you aren't diligent. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but now you might not need them so remove them and pocket the money.
- Cheaper rates by consolidating - Lots of car insurance companies will award a discount to buyers that purchase more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be 10 percent or more. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to get quotes from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- Rates also based on gender - Over the last 30 years, statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. Males and females cause fender benders in similar percentages, but men cause more damage. They also get cited for more serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers cause the most accidents and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance premiums - The type of car or truck you need insurance for makes a significant difference in determining your rates. Due to the fact that the Toyota Highlander is considered a standard SUV, insuring your vehicle will cost slightly more compared to average rates in Fort Collins. The lowest performance passenger vehicles generally receive the lowest base rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Get married and get cheaper premiums - Having a spouse may save some money when shopping for car insurance. It may mean you are more mature than a single person and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Cut car insurance rates and deter theft - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent auto theft.
- Safer occupants lowers car insurance rates - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy.
- Toyota Highlander statistical loss data - Car insurance companies analyze historical claim data to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher premium rate. The data below shows the insurance loss data for Toyota Highlander vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Numbers below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while numbers above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or statistically larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Toyota Highlander Vehicles
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Highlander 4dr 2WD 88 82 94 94 78 75 Toyota Highlander 4dr 4WD 95 86 117 88 74 78 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr 4WD 111 143
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Discounts for cheap car insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don't list every discount in a way that's easy to find, so the below list has some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Home Ownership Discount - Just owning your own home can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings as much as 30%.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them both with the same insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Military Discounts - Having a deployed family member may lower your prices slightly.
- Distant Student Discount - Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Fort Collins and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven't had any claims for a set time period.
- ABS Brakes - Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Drivers who don't get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to monitor driving manner by using a telematic data system such as Allstate's Drivewise and State Farm's In-Drive system could see a rate decrease if they exhibit good driving behavior.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren't that lucky. But all discounts will reduce your overall bill.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and good student.
- MetLife discounts include claim-free, multi-policy, good student, accident-free, good driver, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for annual mileage, age of vehicle, professional/association, good student, accident-free, and low natural disaster claims.
- Nationwide has savings for anti-theft, Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, family plan, defensive driving, and good student.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, seat belt use, military active duty, and federal employee.
- AAA may include discounts for good student, multi-car, education and occupation, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
Before buying, ask every company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies everywhere. To see companies that offer some of these discounts in Fort Collins, click here.
Can't I compare rate quotes from local Fort Collins car insurance agents?
Some people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to insurance agents in Fort Collins that give free quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right company is decision based upon more than just a low price. Any agent in Fort Collins should be willing to answer these questions.
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Fort Collins?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
How to choose the best car insurance agent in Fort Collins
If you want a local insurance agency, you should know the different types of agencies from which to choose. Car insurance agencies may be either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can sell car insurance policies, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for because it can factor into which agent you choose.
Exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are highly trained on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent do not have single company limitations and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move the coverage in-house which makes it simple for you. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you need to contact at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from.
The following are Fort Collins independent agents willing to provide price quotes.
Persistence will pay off
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can find lower-cost Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with an unexpected company. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Discount Toyota Highlander insurance in Fort Collins is available both online as well as from independent agents in Fort Collins, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller companies work with independent agents.
When getting Fort Collins car insurance quotes online, don't be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)