Are you looking for low-cost Mini Cooper insurance in Fort Collins? Are you drained from trying to scrape together enough money to pay auto insurance each month? You're in the same situation as the majority of other consumers in Colorado.
Sad but true, about 70% of customers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. American drivers could save almost $859 a year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand the large savings they would see if they switched.
Consumers have multiple insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it's nice to have multiple companies, too many choices makes it more difficult to find a good deal for Mini Cooper insurance in Fort Collins.
The Mini Cooper Insurance Cost Equation
Lots of things are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but some are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
Type of car determines base costs - The type of vehicle you own makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest rates are for lower cost passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates. Due to the fact that the Mini Cooper is classified as a compact car, rates will be the same to a little lower as compared to the average rate in Fort Collins.
Poor credit score equals high premiums - Having a good credit history is a large factor in determining what you pay for insurance. People with very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have bad credit. If your credit history is lower than you'd like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Mini Cooper by improving your rating.
Remove unneeded extra policy coverages - There are a lot of additional extra coverages that can waste your money but may not be useful. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, towing, and term life insurance are some examples. They may seem good when buying your policy, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Advanced GPS tracking and theft deterrents - Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance. Advanced theft deterrents like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help prevent auto theft.
Your liability limits - Liability coverage will protect you if ever you are found liable for an accident. It provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Insurance loss data for a Mini Cooper - Companies analyze historical claim data to help determine the rate you pay. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher frequency or amount of claims will have increased rates.
The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Mini Cooper vehicles. For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is a value of 100. Percentages below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate more frequent losses or statistically larger claims.
Mini Cooper Insurance Loss Statistics
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mini Cooper Convertible||80||72||100||57|
|Mini Cooper Coupe||72||60|
|Mini Cooper Roadster Convertible||57||50||78|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
When looking for affordable Mini Cooper insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare prices from local Fort Collins auto insurance companies. One of the best ways to lower the rate you pay for insurance is simply to get online rate quotes.
Getting free quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to spend time driving to insurance agencies in your area. Quoting and buying Mini Cooper insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless your situation requires the trained guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible to get the lowest quotes online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
When comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing all the rates in your area increases the chance that you will find more affordable rates.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Colorado. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Cooper 2-Dr Hatchback||$144||$282||$314||$18||$94||$852||$71|
|Cooper 2-Dr Convertible||$200||$340||$238||$14||$72||$864||$72|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Hatchback||$170||$360||$280||$16||$84||$910||$76|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Convertible||$310||$592||$238||$14||$72||$1,226||$102|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Hatchback||$214||$426||$338||$20||$102||$1,100||$92|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Convertible||$270||$490||$236||$14||$70||$1,080||$90|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in your specific Fort Collins location which can increase or decrease prices significantly.
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can increase or decrease Mini Cooper annual premium costs for each age group. The information is based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though Fort Collins Cooper insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Mini, almost all lenders will force you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Mini for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Cooper more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $750 every year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to save money.
Cheap Fort Collins insurance quotes with discounts
Some companies do not advertise the entire discount list very well, so the following list contains some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy Fort Collins auto insurance online.
- Accident Free - Drivers with accident-free driving histories have much lower rates in comparison to bad drivers.
- Paperless Signup - A few insurance companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing on their website.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Some companies give a break if you buy life insurance.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers - Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Discount for Good Grades - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Payment Method - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
Don't be shocked that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn't quite work that way.
The best insurance companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for early shopping, bundle discounts, homeowner, alternative fuel, teen driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including online shopper, Switch & Save, Pac-12 alumni, DriveSense, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- State Farm has discounts for Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, passive restraint, defensive driving training, driver's education, good driver, and good student.
- GEICO includes discounts for five-year accident-free, good student, federal employee, air bags, multi-vehicle, and emergency military deployment.
- Allstate has savings for good student, good payer, EZ pay plan discount, economy car, defensive driver, and farm vehicle.
When quoting, ask every company how you can save money. Savings may not apply everywhere. For a list of companies offering insurance discounts in Colorado, click this link.
Local Fort Collins insurance agents and auto insurance
Many drivers just prefer to sit down with an agent and we recommend doing that The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Fort Collins who will give competitive quotes to get your business. It's much easier because you don't need to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find better rates without a big time investment. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, don't hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Selecting an insurance company shouldn't rely on just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- How many companies do they write for?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- How long have they been in business?
What insurance coverages do I need?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing a policy, there isn't really a perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Is other people's property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Quote more and you will save more
There are still a few companies who may not offer price quotes online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents. Discount Mini Cooper insurance can be bought both online and also from your neighborhood Fort Collins agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims, delays in responding to claim requests and even lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is less work than it seems.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can lower your Mini Cooper insurance car insurance rates in Fort Collins. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest car insurance rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Additional insurance information is located on the following sites:
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Active Military in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)