No normal person looks forward to paying premiums for auto insurance, especially when they are aware that it costs too dang much.
A recent study showed that most drivers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never shopped around. Colorado insurance shoppers could pocket about $600 a year by just comparing quotes, but they won't spend time to compare rate quotes.
Insurance companies such as Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm persitently shower you with ads and consumers find it hard to see past the geckos and flying pigs and take the time to shop coverage around.
You need to shop coverage around yearly because auto insurance prices fluctuate regularly. If you had the best rates on auto insurance on your last policy a different company probably has better rate quotes today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because it's time to teach you how to use the internet to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Most larger insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO allow you to get coverage price quotes on their websites. Getting online quotes doesn't take much effort because it's just a matter of typing in your coverage information on the page. Upon sending the form, their quoting system will obtain your driving and credit reports and gives you a price quote determined by many factors. Quoting online makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to compare as many rates as possible in order to find lower-cost rates.
If you want to find out if lower rates are available, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you complete the form with the limits and deductibles exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this guarantees you will receive a price comparison based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Colorado. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get rates from several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,292||$646||$108|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,010||$505||$84|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$908||$454||$76|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$920||$460||$77|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,378||$689||$115|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,030||$515||$86|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$994||$497||$83|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$1,312||$656||$109|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$798||$399||$67|
|GMC Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$1,182||$591||$99|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$890||$445||$74|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$892||$446||$74|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,632||$816||$136|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Islander Package 4WD 4-Dr||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$998||$499||$83|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,268||$634||$106|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,608||$804||$134|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$1,036||$518||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in your specific Golden location which can lower or raise coverage prices greatly.
How accidents and violations affect rates
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault claims can raise Dodge Ram insurance costs for each different age group. The rates are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Comparison of car insurance rates by gender and age
The chart below shows the comparison of yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers in Golden. The costs are based on no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied on a Nissan Altima 2.5 S.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Can higher deductibles save money?
The example below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can change Toyota Corolla insurance rates for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Golden, maintaining insurance is required in Colorado but also provides important benefits.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Golden is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so compare rates at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Popular auto insurance providers such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO constantly bombard you with ads on television and other media. They all seem to seem to make the promise about saving some big amount after switching your coverage to them. How does every company charge lower premium rates? Here is the trick they use.
Insurance companies have a certain "appetite" for the right customer that earns them the most money. For example, a driver they prefer might have to be between the ages of 30 and 50, has a low-risk occupation, and has excellent credit. A customer getting a price quote that meets those criteria will get low car insurance rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who fall short of the ideal profile will have to pay a more expensive rate and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The wording the ads use say "drivers who switch" not "everyone who quotes" save money. That's the way companies can make claims like that. Each company has different criteria, so you really need to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It's not possible to predict the company that will provide the lowest auto insurance in Golden.
Affordable Golden auto insurance rates with discounts
Some insurers don't always publicize every discount in a way that's easy to find, so the following list contains some of the more common and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Claim Free - Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Golden auto insurance quote in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Telematics Discount - Policyholders that allow their company to study driving manner by using a telematic data system such as Progressive's Snapshot may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Homeowners Savings - Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Senior Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you could receive better auto insurance rates.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Completing a driver safety class could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Drive Safe and Save - Insureds who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Student Discounts - Excelling in school can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car model can save you some money because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because you may think you could get a free auto insurance policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
To see auto insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Golden in Colorado, follow this link.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When selecting the right insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
If you're not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Be persistent and save
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including high prices, poor customer service, policy non-renewal or even delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, switching car insurance companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
We just covered a lot of ways to compare car insurance prices in Golden. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest prices come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at these sites:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Colorado Auto Insurance for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Castle Rock, Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda CR-V in Colorado? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)