If you are a novice to online insurance shopping, it's easy to be bewildered by the vast assortment of insurers all claiming to save you money.
Remarkably, a study showed that a large majority of insurance policyholders in Colorado have bought insurance from the same company for more than four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Drivers in the United States could save about 46.5% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around every six months because prices are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you think you had the best deal on BMW 325i insurance in Fort Collins last year you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because it's time to teach you the only way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Fort Collins is quite easy. If you have insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using the ideas presented in this article. But Colorado drivers do need to learn the methods companies use to calculate your policy premium because it varies considerably.
Affordable car insurance in Fort Collins, CO
The companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Colorado. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lower rate quotes with discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Insuring several vehicles on the same insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles can earn slightly better prices than normal.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not a discount per se, but companies like Allstate and Progressive will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free before the accident.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Drivers over the age of 55 can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Early Payment Discounts - By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
Don't be surprised that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn't quite work that way. Any amount of discount will bring down the amount you pay for coverage.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for driver training, daytime running lights, membership and employees, defensive driver, and multi-policy.
- MetLife offers discounts including good student, multi-policy, claim-free, good driver, and accident-free.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers includes discounts for IntelliDrive, home ownership, hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-policy, multi-car, save driver, and early quote.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for drive less, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, bundle discounts, and multi-car.
- AAA may offer discounts for good student, anti-theft, good driver, education and occupation, multi-policy, AAA membership discount, and pay-in-full.
Double check with all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in Fort Collins.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that are used to determine the price you pay for auto insurance. If you know what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
- Car and home together may be cheaper - Most companies will give better rates to buyers who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. Even with this discount applied, drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- Do you really need roadside assistance? - Insurance policies have a lot of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Coverages like roadside assistance, towing, and term life insurance may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them remove them and pocket the money.
- Optional features can affect auto insurance rates - Choosing to buy a car with advanced anti-theft systems can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- High performance equals high costs - The make and model of the car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in your auto insurance rates. Because the BMW 325i is a luxury sports car, insurance will be up to twice as much as compared to the average rate in Fort Collins. Smaller low performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Annual mileage impacts costs - The more you drive annually the higher your rate. The majority of insurers charge rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Having an incorrect usage rating on your 325i may be costing you. It's a good idea to make sure your auto insurance coverage reflects the correct usage.
- Battle of the sexes - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. This data doesn't prove that women are better drivers. Both sexes are responsible for fender benders at about the same rate, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically receive more major tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Youthful male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and therefore pay the highest rates.
- High deductibles save money - The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and damage from wind. The more the insured is willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
Compare rates but buy from a local Fort Collins insurance agent
Certain consumers just want to go talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper premium rates but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You don't have to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. You can get cheaper insurance rates without having to waste a lot of time. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you can always visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an insurance company is decision based upon more than just a low price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Is the agent properly licensed in Colorado?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Fort Collins?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
If you want a local Fort Collins insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures that you can select. Fort Collins agents may be either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers sometimes choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Fort Collins who can help you get price quote information.
- Farmers Insurance - David Stansfield
5125 S College Ave b - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 204-0020 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Jennifer Richardson Fanning
1057 Robertson St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 224-4285 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Jennifer Harms
1008 Driftwood Dr Ste B - Fort Collins, CO 80525 - (970) 204-1100 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don't have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller mutual companies which may provide better rates.
Listed below are independent agents in Fort Collins who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Ameri Quote Insurance and Financial Services
1015 W Horsetooth Rd - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 221-1141 - View Map
- Colorado - B W Insurance Agency Inc
1075 W Horsetooth Rd # 106 - Fort Collins, CO 80526 - (970) 223-0924 - View Map
- John C. Beckett and Associates
220 Smith St - Fort Collins, CO 80524 - (970) 484-2805 - View Map
Car insurance savings promises
Car insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO endlessly run television and radio advertisements. They all convey the message that people will save if you change your coverage. How does each company charge you a lower premium? It's all in how they say it.
Insurance providers require specific criteria for the right customer that will generate a profit. An example of a preferred risk might have to be between 30 and 50, has few claims, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. A customer who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and will probably save if they switch.
Potential customers who don't qualify for those standards will probably have to pay a higher premium and this results in business going elsewhere. If you pay attention, the ads say "customers that switch" not "all people who quote" can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how companies can truthfully make claims that they all have the best auto insurance rates. This emphasizes why it's extremely important to get price quotes at each policy renewal. You cannot predict the company that will have the lowest rates for your situation.
Do the work, save more money
As you prepare to switch companies, don't be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to compare BMW 325i insurance rates in Fort Collins. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company.
There are still a few companies who may not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agencies. Budget-conscious BMW 325i insurance can be found on the web and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis.
Additional car insurance information can be read at the links below
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Pueblo, Colorado? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Grand Junction, Colorado? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Lakewood, Colorado? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Colorado Car Insurance for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Government Employees in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)